Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Creating the Greaves


Well, I am starting with the greaves because I made a pair a couple years ago. I consider these a prototype. They are great to fight in but there are a few modification I want to do when I make the next pair.

So, here is how they were made.

Start by measuring the leg, noting where your knee will be and such. There are about 8 measurements to take. After you have all the measurements you need to draw your pattern.





Next you will transfer your pattern to the metal you will use for the greaves. I use chalk to draw the pattern onto the sheet metal.

Next you will cut the metal pattern out. I did not do a great job with placement of my pattern for cutting but cold rolled mild steel sheet is cheap. I used 16 gauge for this project.

To cut the metal I used a throatless shear. The one I had at the time was a Central Forge knockoff of the Beverly B1. It cost me about $90 at Harbor Freight Tools and it works well wit 16 gauge. That is about the thickest metal you can cut with it.

It works really great for light work and cuts 14 gauge brass sheets with no problems. I have since acquired a Beverly B3 that it really sweet. It can handle any cutting I need to do for armor.

The knockoff is now only used for cutting brass and bronze sheet.

So, after you get the pieces cut out and the edges filed so they are not so sharp, it is time to get out the hammer and start pounding the metal.

I started by raising the sides.

You will also notice in the picture that I marked the center and the area to dish for the knee.

I do all my dishing on a flat stump. I am dishing not sinking the metal. It can be used to hammer a roll in a straight line or to create a dish.

After I start the curve on both sides I will start to dish out the knee.

After the knee is started I can continue to round the the leg and round up the sides.


After the leg front is round the knee dished and the sides curved up it is time to roll the edge that sits on the top of the foot.


Then you have a greave. I made the pair in about 5 hours. Not including planishing and adding straps.



The greaves are great for fighting. Full protection of my shins. Nothing to catch like with an articulated knee. My greaves are 2 inches above my knee to keep from getting a sword tip to the knee cap when I am stepping forward. The only time I see a problem is when fighting from my knees. I have not been tipped on the knee yet but it could happen. I plan to make a small articulated piece to protect my knee when fighting on my knees.

No comments: